Sunday, March 7, 2010

Russian Dowry Chest







Well friends, it is with a heavy heart that I'm downsizing from a lovely apartment to one that is much smaller. It's sad because I will have to sell some of my bigger antiques which are much loved and I sweated and toiled to save up for them. This Russian Dowry chest comes from the Urals in Russia, it was brought to Brisbane by an importer who shipped in a container of this kind of furniture and I never saw it again. They were made from Baltic Pine (like this one) for brides to store their wedding dowry of fabrics, and this one is unique because it has a candle box to store the beeswax candles. The patina on the top is lovely because it shows the borer marks and the bumps and scratches. It is from the 1870s (approximately) and has a hidden drawer at the bottom. It is 1.08cms wide and 66cms deep and 89cms high. There's deep storage once you lift the lid 45cms deep to be exact. Please contact me if you're interested in buying this wonderful old piece of folk furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails